Chawanmushi


Chawanmushi is one of my favorite Japanese dishes. It literally means tea cup steam or steamed in a tea bowl. Chawanmushi is an appetizer which consists an egg custard with numerous ingredients such as shrimp or crab meat, shiitake mushrooms, spinach, and so on. It is generally considered to be a difficult dish to prepare, so if I say I am good at making chawanmushi, people might think I am an expert chef!
It is tough to see if the egg is steamed at the right heat, or it loses its smooth texture. Actually, I messed up several times, but once I got the proper heat and time, cooking chawanmushi is not difficult at all.
Ronnie loves this dish, too. He does not quite understand the difference, though. Every time he just says "umai!" whether the egg comes out well or not. That is my sweetheart Ronnie-kun.

Comments

Tonykaku said…
umai-soooo! your Ronnie-san is a lucky guy.

i will have some good home-cooked meals when i get to Osaka!
Hirochan said…
How many times have you been to Osaka, Tonykaku? I have been there once when I visited Universal Studio in Osaka.
Tonykaku said…
since 2003, i have been to Osaka about 20 times.
honma ni. but, i have never been to USJ. maybe this time.

Popular posts from this blog

Outside Morning Coffee